Pic of the Week
Loves
Christmas
Let it Snow
Favorite Sites
Favorite Things
Avoiding Meltdowns
Thursday, August 17, 2006
Madison woke up at 6:30 this morning ready to start the day (3 hours earlier than her normal waking time). That after being up from 1:30-3:00 already this morning. I knew we were in for a rough day. A day full of mommy meltdowns and Maddy meltdowns. So, I decided to just keep her busy. We started out by meeting Kelly, Garrett, and Carson at the Library since we never made it up there the other day. Then, we headed up to the school where my mom teaches and had lunch with her. Kim met us up there too. There is a park (it's the park that is "connected" to our sub) right next to the school so we took the kids over there after lunch. Whew...it was a busy morning but it went great. She had a great attitude the whole morning and we avoided all meltdowns. I got this quote off a blog I just discovered (thanks Andrea T.!) This would have been a much easier way to tackle the morning but oh well...we had fun and I am sure I will be able to use this technique soon...like probably tomorrow.

"Hugs Are a Parent's Secret Weapon
They stop misbehavior, moodiness, meltdowns. Hugs are a great way to show love and affection for your child. But when your little one is acting jumpy, emotional, or out of control, they can do much more than that. A good hard hug, with lots of squeezing to the trunk and shoulders, can provide some powerful sensory input to a disorganized child and help restore feelings of calm and control."
posted by Andrea Thursday, August 17, 2006  
3 Comments:
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said…

    Mmmmm Hmmmm ... good thoughts ... a hug can change a lot can't it? Ethan came up to me the other day and said "more hugs" and I just melted. Yep, just thinking about that could avoid a meltdown.

    Glad you like the new blog ... it's a good one!

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    The promise of cotton candy from her favorite aunt (no not you Kim) may help too. :)

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How 'bout Boppie hugs?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Name: Andrea
About me: SAHM to a beautiful little girl & adorable little boy
Blog Roll
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Once Upon A Lifetime Template by Isnaini Dot Com